Dec 11, 2015
Nov 6, 2015
Oct 14, 2015
- Watch A Good Book, Not Just a Bestseller.
- What do you think Salinger meant when he wrote to Jean Miller “I want to write a good book, not just a bestseller? ” Use evidence from the video to support your answer.
- Using evidence from the video and the background essay, explain Salinger’s purpose for writing The Catcher in the Rye.
- According to the video, when does J.D. Salinger find his voice and what does he convey about society with this voice?
- Watch The Reception of The Catcher in the Rye.
- According to the video, what challenges did Salinger face when he tried to get The Catcher in the Rye published?
- What was Salinger's goal as a writer and do you think he achieved it? Support your answer using evidence from the video and the essay.
- Why did The Catcher in the Rye garner both praise and criticism? Cite evidence from the video and the essay to support your answer.
- Identify aspects of The Catcher in the Rye described in the video and the essay that contributed to its status as "the literary anthem of a generation".